Report Walking Problems

WCFPS has a Rights of Way officer who gathers information concerning public rights of way primarily in the area covered by the OS Explorer map 102. We try to resolve minor problems by meeting the people involved or more serious problems by passing them up to, usually, Cornwall Council. The officer is pursuing three particular topics.

Ploughing and Cropping. If a farmer disturbs a footpath by ploughing or planting crops over a cross field path or up to the hedge of a headland path then he should reinstate the surface within 14 days. The current Cormac enforcement officers have been tasked with concentrating on this problem and appear to be meeting with success as several farmers have not been reoffending after being served with a formal notification. However there is only one enforcement officer for Cornwall. Therefore the officer relies on people like ourselves to be their eyes and ears in the countryside.

Intimidating Animals. Cornwall Council’s Chief Enforcement Officer wishes to be notified of any occasions when walkers feel intimidated or threatened by any livestock [cattle, horses, llamas, pigs etc.]. A walker does not need to be ‘attacked’ by an animal; merely to feel threatened or intimidated. She will then follow up the report and assess the situation. If necessary the farmer will be informed and advised how a potentially serious situation can be avoided.

Green Signs. Wherever a public right of way leaves the tarmac surface there should be a green sign. As members know there are many missing. Cormac have said that if they have a comprehensive list of the omissions they will be better able to make work lists to replace clutches of signs, thus making more efficient use of their manpower. If all our 300+ members gathered this information we would quickly have the information that Cormac needs.

Overgrown rights of way. Cornwall Council and town/parish councils only have limited funds to keep rights of way clear. Consequently, outside of the May to August bird nesting season, the Society volunteers to do clearing. Whilst all routes are important, we priorities those that members wish to use on a planned walk and those that are useful to the local community.

This list is not meant to be limiting. If you know of any issues affecting the use of footpaths [blocked stiles, overgrown footpaths] or any of the above topics contact the Society by using one of the following links:

Report to WCFPS Rights of Way Officer: email using the form            

Report Direct to Cornwall Council.